Christmas and New year has been and gone and all seems like a distant memory.
As with any charity, it’s been a hard winter. Seasonality has played its part and fewer people want to go sailing in the winter months. Saying that we have had some glorious sailing days at this time of the year with young people and adults.
So, what has Challenge Wales been up to since the New Year and what is on the horizon…
- In January we set sail with 10 young people onboard for a weekend, in preparation for their Gold Duke of Edinburgh award residential activity. Read more…
- 12 young people joined Challenge Wales at the end of January from the local Sea Cadets for a day learning about team development.
- A new volunteer came forward looking for her next challenge. Having rowed across the Atlantic and then the Indian Ocean Elin is keen to get back on the water while helping young people achieve their own goals.
- Challenge Wales will have a volunteer running the London Marathon for us in April – so over the coming weeks we will be supporting them as much as we can to raise funds and we hope you will too.
- We are a selected charity in Vodaphone’s World of Difference programme. One person has been offered the chance to work for Challenge Wales for two months from March while getting funded by Vodaphone. This is fantastic and we’re really excited about this. Maybe next year, it could be you!
- We are running RYA sailing and theory courses from Start Yachting and Competent Crew to Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper. Plus, First Aid courses and we will soon be offering an online course in Navigation.
- Like last year ,our plans for the summer months are to visit other parts of Wales such as Milford Haven and have a couple of trips to Ireland with young people.
- We will continue to offer big boat sailing days for adults to raise funds for the charity, so whether you are a beginner, looking to gain miles under your belt or help volunteer then step aboard.
- We will be visiting Portishead for a Sail and Lunch hosted by the Lockhouse restaurant in March – book early. Another fundraising trip
…and of course we will be continuing to expand our network of young persons organisations we talk to and work with to show you the benefits of sail training.
Blimey, it really does sound like exciting times ahead, but none of this happens without our volunteers so lets set sail for an even better 2011.
Best wishes to you all!