|Ahoy! Be part of our shore-side team.
Challenge Wales is a volunteer-run charity using sailing to teach young people life skills such as teamwork,communication, discipline, self-confidence and responsibility. The charity does this through sailing Challenge Wales, Wales’ Tall Ship and ex-round the world boat. It is the largest sailing boat in Wales and is based in Penarth.
The aim of this role, which reports to the Business Development Manager, is to assist in the day to day running of the charity.
The successful candidate will need to have good communication skills and be organised to be able to process paperwork in a timely way. The candidate will be working on their own at times and also as part of a team and be able to use their own initiative to get tasks done. We’ll teach you the ropes to enable you to learn the processes and systems and you may even get the opportunity to join us for a voyage!
Although this is a permanent role, the first six months are funding through Jobs Growth Wales. This means that to apply you need to be eligible; you will need to be unemployed, aged 16 – 24 years and a Welsh resident. For the right person this is going to be a fantastic opportunity with the opportunity to grow too!
Weekly hours – 37.5
Tasks & Responsibilities
You will be involved with:
- Assisting in the day to day running of the charity, such as dealing with telephone/email enquiries and administrative tasks.
- Manage bookings and paperwork from groups, companies and individuals
- Coordinating feedback forms and reporting on findings
- Maintaining filing systems
- Championing the Challenge Wales brand and raising the profile of the charity
- Ensure volunteer forms are processed and crewing instructions are communicated to volunteers
- Update the database on a regular basis
- Process bursary forms and thank you letters ready for submission to funders
- Help develop presentations using Powerpoint
- Help organise events e.g. volunteer evenings
- Help prepare newsletters to volunteers, customers, companies and youth groups
- Assist in updating the website
- Establishing working relationships with key contacts and supporting the Trustees and other team members
- Attending meetings with partners and organisations
- Other tasks as and when required which relate to the job
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability to work on their own initiative
- Be energetic enthusiastic, hands-on and willing to work hard
- Possess very good communication skills both verbal and written. Have a very good telephone manner
- Have experience of undertaking administrative tasks
- Have the flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend events when required
- Have organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work effectively to juggle many tasks at once to tight timescales
- Have strong computer skills in Microsoft office, Outlook, Excel and other various presentation and database programs
- Be a team player
Highly desirable (but not essential)
Previous experience in a similar role.
Advantageous (but not essential)
- Welsh speaker
- Experience of Salesforce database
- Experience of email tools such as Mailchimp
- Experience in WordPress
- GCSE passes at English (C) and Maths (C)
*HOW TO APPLY AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE ROLE
- The post is a permanent full time role but is funded for the first 6 months through Jobs Growth Wales. Due to this initial funding this places some restrictions on who can apply. To apply for this job the candidate needs to be aged 16 – 24 years, unemployed, engaged with the Job Centre and resident in Wales.
To apply for the role the candidate MUST APPLY at www.careerwales.com. You can search for the role by searching for an Administration Assistant role in Penarth and by searching via the Vacancy ID 32593.
*CLOSING DATE – 21st June 2016
STARTING DATE FOR ROLE – ASAP / Immediate
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: National Minimum Wage/ up to £6.70 per hour